Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The End of Daddy/Daughter Day

I've been slacking quite a bit in keeping up-to-date on my Daddy/Daughter days. Mostly it has been because nothing really noteworthy has happened. I do have a few observations from the last several weeks, though.

--Emma is at a great stage right now. If you lay her down on the floor she can entertain herself for some time. She is dextrous enough to reach around next to her and pick up the toys that she drops, but is not mobile yet. That means you can leave her for a few minutes at a time (shower, check e-mail, make a sandwich, fill up the car, spend the afternoon at Lagoon, run to Wendover) and not worry about her being bored or sticking her finger in an electrical outlet.

--It's funny how when I take her to the hardware store, people automatically assume she's a boy. I finally started putting bows on her just to avoid this.

--Emma has four tricks (thanks Nob for correcting my math -- math is hard) in her repetoire: spitting, screaming, grunting, and fake coughing. I believe the screaming came first. This is little girl screaming -- maybe shreaking is the correct term -- the kind that happens not because she's upset about something but because she just likes to hear her own voice. It was cute for about an afternoon, but then got pretty tiresome. Thankfully, she stopped doing that but replaced it with the fake cough. As new parents, the cough worried us at first until we realized that it was a fake cough -- again not because she needed to cough but because she liked hearing her own cough. Thankfully she stopped doing that but replaced it with the grunting. The grunting has never really gone away, but seems to ebb and flow. Peak times for grunting are 1)Relief Society 2) Sunday School 3) Sacrament Meeting. Then she's quiet for about a week. Her fourth trick was the spitting, which I have to admit is my favorite. It's terribly rude, especially when she does it in someone's face, but it is also hilarious.

I bring this up only because in the last several weeks, Emma has decided to periodically switch her tricks, so that some days are spitting days, others are fake coughing days. Yesterday was definately a screaming day.

--This past Monday was a sad one because it was my last Daddy/Daughter Day. I have a new job that begins next week and I will no longer have Mondays off. I tried to get my new employer (Edwards Lifesciences) to let me work 4 10-hour days, but they said no. So I won't have that special day with Emma anymore, and I'm pretty sad about it. But, a big thank you to Grandma L and Grandma VB for their offer to babysit two days per week. We love you!

3 comments:

Living Green said...

First of all: spitting + screaming + grunging + fake coughing = 4 tricks. Thought you should know.

Ethan had an interesting one. He (and Joshua to a lesser extent) would do a rather striking Chewbacca-esque throat gurgle sound. All day, everyday. I never got tired of it(who would/could get tired of Chewy?) but I think Challene was just fine with it when he stopped.

DaddyDaughter day was a nice little saga... miniseries, if you will. I will miss it. It's cute to see you as a Daddy. Tee-hee.

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

Yes, there are a lot of us that will the saga of daddy/daughter days. You always make me laugh out loud Quinn. Thanks for the cute "old" poem for my birthday invitation. Loved it! Love ya, Mom Van Bibber

PAW said...

Let me know when you try the whole Ritz cracker in the mouth thing!!!
Then you'll have another trick to add.

Aunt P.