Friday, September 26, 2008

Whew!

Well Quinn has been out of town all week. He left Sunday morning for San Diego for some training for work. I'm not too envious because Mon-Thurs he is in class from 8:00 am till 7:00 pm. That is a very long day and then they gave him reading to do at night for the next day. And then today he had to take a test on everything they learned. When I talked to him afterward we said he felt pretty good about it. He will have a little bit of time for some sight seeing but I'll let him tell about that.

Emma and I have missed him very much, I've had to change every poopy diaper! We haven't done too much this week except take lots of walks. There is only a few more weeks till Carly's wedding and I was hoping to have the last of the baby weight gone. Here's hoping.

Well it's Friday night, Emma is exhausted having missed her afternoon nap because I needed to go visiting teaching. So we went for a walk, feed her bottle, read some stories, and finally got her down for the night. All week I have been doing little things here and there to get the upstairs bathroom ready to paint and I told myself tonight is the night. We are redoing it because we have to put in a new toilet. The one we have is not working so well. So, if you're going to put in a new toilet you might as well replace the crappy linoleum floor and if you're going to replace the floor you might as well paint the walls too. So that is what we are doing. Quinn didn't know a new toilet was going to cost so much!

Okay Emma is down, so I start on the ceiling with my paint brush, cutting in the edges. Then the phone rings, its Quinn. He is calling to tell me he is at a Padres game and that he got in for free! I'm happy for him and I happily go back to my painting. Two minutes later I hear a loud piercing beeping noise. The smoke alarm. Don't worry, I forgot to mention that I am also cleaning the oven. Something spilled and for the last couple of times I've used it the smell was bad and a little bit of smoke would fill the room.

I drop my paintbrush, run downstairs and try to fan the thing so it will go off before it wakes up Emma. All the windows were already open and I thought that would be enough. Apparently NOT. I get the battery out, I know a big no-no but.... I run back upstairs to grab a fan to place by the oven to draw the smoke outside and guess who was now awake and screaming. She was already a little jumpy/clingy today for some reason and now she was letting me know she was not happy. But I needed to get back to the painting before what I had already done dried. So she cried, I painted. The ceiling is small and I knew it wouldn't take me long. Luckily she fell back to sleep after a few minutes and I got my painting done for the night. Whew!!

The house is not longer smokey, the painting stuff is clean, the dishwasher is going and I'm sitting here with my diet coke and granola bar wishing I was at the Padres game with Quinn. I hope he is having fun. I think I'll go watch a movie and fall asleep. Sorry for the long post but I hope you find a little funny, I know Quinn would tell it better :)

(No pictures from this week - Quinn has the camera - but Emma's top front teeth finally came through, Yeah!)

3 comments:

HDVB said...

Laura, that was great, and don't worry, no one can tell a story as well as Quinn. Hannah and I love reading your blog so thanks for the update. Make sure to post some Emma pictures when Quinn gets back. Love ya,
Daniel and Hannah.

HDVB said...

Laura! You're hilarious...those moments are always meant to be shared so thanks for sharing! I disagree with Daniel...I think that story was pretty freakin' awesome (definitely like Quinn's) If anything like that ever happens again, be sure to post it - it makes me feel better about my ever so crazy experiences :)
Han

H said...

Ah, life with children! You guys always make me laugh! I think maybe you should change the name of your blog...we sure enjoy it!
Love you all,
Ken, Heather & girls