Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A weekend get away!

Quinn and I were able to get away for three days thanks to our parents. Earlier this spring we has planned to visit Mesa Verde National Park with my family but we had to cancel because Emma and I had horrible colds. So Quinn and I finally made plans to go back and left Emma with her Grandparents. I hear she had a great time playing with her Aunt Carly and Aunt Annie and didn't ask about Quinn or I once.

I missed her a lot but was very glad we didn't have her along. Quinn and I had a great time but we spent the three days either in the car or hiking. So it would have been a very different trip if she had been along.

Friday morning we headed South. On the way to Cortez, Colorado which is the closest town to Mesa Verde we decided to stop and visit Hovenweep which is a National Monument on the Utah Colorado border with Indian ruins.



These people built there homes on the very sides of a ravine and even into the side of a huge boulder.

It was great stop and enable me to get out and stretch my muscles for real. My doctor warned me that I really need to get out of the car every two hours which is usually not a problem because I usually needed a bathroom break anyways.

This one is called Hovenweep Castle because it was the biggest and had a round tower.

Quinn was able to get away from work at a busy time by bring some of his work with him.

The next day he spent the whole day in Mesa Verde.

Our first tour was of Cliff Palace. Isn't it amazing that something like this is still around!

Cute Couple!

We were able to climb down one side pretty easily but to go out the other side we had to climb up narrow large stairs and two ten foot ladders. Very fun.

We just had time for a quick lunch out of the back of our car before our next tour.

Our next tour was of the dwelling called Balcony House. I couldn't get a picture of it because you start directly above it. After a short hike down we then had to climb up this 32 foot ladder on the side of the cliff. Please don't tell my doctor!

We also climbed in through tight spaces and up shorted ladders.

These kids are trying their had a grinding corn which is what the women spent a great deal of their time doing.

To get back up top we first had to go through a tunnel 18 inches wide and 12 feet long. In you go!

Here's Quinn coming out of the tunnel.

A view of Square Tower House!



Quinn coming out of a Kiva (underground sacred place).

Spruce Tree house was one we were able to walk down do by ourselves and explore a bit.

On our last day we decided to visit Four Corners while we were in the area.

Well this is it, a marble slab with flags surrounding it in the middle of now where.


We also had to stop and do some letter boxes on the way home. We found one near Newspaper rock. Amazing!!


We looked for another as we hiked up a ways but never found it. We did find more Petroglyphs though.


Thanks for a great weekend Quinn!!

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Wow that looks like so much fun, but I would have been so incredibly closterphobic in some of those spots! Way to do it all pregnant!

The Powell Family said...

Dido to the claustrophobia! I wouldn't have made it. It looks fun though. How was it to have time away with just the two of you? I don't remember what that is like...especially since our current living arrangement!

PAW said...

Very impressive for all you did.

M2QC said...

How fun! We did the exact same trip when I was a kid. I still remember Cliff Palace - that place is amazing!!

HDVB- daniel said...

we need to go there some day, it looks amazing.

Jill said...

What a fun trip! We went to Mesa Verde several years ago; looks like it hasn't changed much! Isn't it incredible to think of people living there??

Sarah F said...

My childhood trip to Mesa Verde ranks up there with trips to the Grand Canyon and the top of the St. Louis Arch in terms of events that fed my horrible fear of heights as a kid. I'm sure I'd like it better now.