Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Best Bond: the results show

The results are in, and although I'm not surprised, I'm a little disappointed. Daniel Craig received 6 votes, Sean Connery 4 votes, and Roger Moore only one vote (mine). One commenter just wanted to know why he couldn't vote for Pierce Brosnan, Timothy Dalton, or George Lazenby.



I am aware of Daniel Craig's striking good looks and athletic build, but I would have bet the farm that Bond aficionados would have favored Sean Connery since he a) is no slouch either b) was the original Bond c) is tied with Roger Moore for most movies -- seven --, and d) doesn't have that ridiculous pouty lipped look on his face like Daniel Craig. It appears, however, that I underestimated Craig's affect on the women (they all fan themselves when he's on screen) and the men (they can't wait for him to leap off buildings as they explode, and let's face it, Bond just wasn't doing that in the 70s.) The captivation with him is so great, that people were willing to overlook the fact that Daniel Craig has appeared in only two Bond movies. Can we judge the best Bond from only two movies? Even my mother-in-law, whom I would have pegged for a staunch Connery supporter, voted for Craig. The tides have changed.



To answer the previously posed question, I felt that I was doing everyone a favor by removing Lazenby, Dalton, and Brosnan from the voting, since it seemed obvious to me that Roger Moore was the best of the "also-rans". Moore did gain my vote, however, for the following reasons: 7 movies under his belt and no "pretty boy" smirk (advantages over Craig), and an authentic English accent (advantage over Connery). How does anyone justify Britain's top crime fighter having a Scottish accent? It never made sense to me.


Regardless, I will abide by the voice of the voters. Daniel Craig has thus defeated Sean Connery and Roger Moore as the "Best Bond."

2 comments:

PAW said...

I've lost some respect for you for not putting Brosnan's name in the mix. Oooooh la la !!!!

Living Green said...

Craig is a fad. A boxer/brief swimsuit wearing, blue eyed, beefcake fad. That's all there is to it. Time will prove the indelible mark Connery has made on the series/genre. In retrospect, I regret not adding my vote for Connery.

They've been putting Bond reruns on the CW late at nights lately. While plot-wise the movies weren't that great the stunts are still spectacular, even in this day and age.

Brosnan's a douche... can I say that?