Friday, August 22, 2014

Girls Camp July 2014

Well we have already heard how Quinn spent his week while I was at Girls Camp so here is what I was doing. We were very lucky to be assigned our turn at the Heber Valley Girls Camp site that was bought and set up just for the Young Women of the church to use. It is a beautiful camp up on the mountain above Heber. We headed out at 7:30 am on school buses praying that our bus would make the trip with no problems. Apparently last time their bus caught on fire and they had to all cram in another bus that was already full. We were also hoping to escape the 95+ heat but that didn't really happen. The first day it felt just as hot and the next few days it only cooled slightly. Even at night we only needed our jacket but in our cabin it was still very warm at night. We had 9 leaders and 22 girls. 

On the bus with the girls. (I am still trying to learn the art of the selfie.)

Arrive with no problems - unpacked and now painting our clothes pins to hang up our mess kits with.

Heading out on our hike straight up the mountain.

So beautiful but we are lost.
I hung back to walk with a girl in another ward who was struggling and had no leader with her. Then we were joined by a few others and got left behind the main group. At a fork in the path we had no idea which way to go. Eventually we made our way down after we found a four wheeler path.

My cabin - 11 beehives and 5 leaders in this cabin and no sleep!

The Challenges Course - this pole doesn't look that tall from the ground but when you are climbing it, it seems to go on for ever.

Then we had to go across the tight rope.

Then it was the zip line.

My job was to get help everyone get a harness on because having just done it a month before in Alaska I am now an expert. Not really, it really isn't that hard to do. It was fine helping the girls and other Young Women leaders but a bit awkward helping some the priesthood brethren. "Here Bishop Hunter, let me help you tighten those straps!"

Doing our one craft - making a heart shaped microwave corn bag.

We were also able to go canoeing on the lake. It was so beautiful. 

On our hike back from the lake we were able to see a doe with two fawns and a buck.

Every year the leaders do a skit for the girls. This year we attempted to the black and white dance (look up on You Tube to see examples) only our color was purple for integrity. I hope the girls enjoyed it but it was a bit embarrassing. We had hoped to just do it for the girls but ran out of time the day was planned and ended up doing much later and Bishopric and their wives were there for the testimony meeting that night.

Getting ready for the testimony meeting.

My first year back at girls camp since I was a girl was very fun. I got no know my girls so much better than what you see on Sundays and activity nights. They are amazing. It is so much fun to see them grow in their friendships and testimonies. Love my beehives next year could we please get a little more sleep though. Beehives like to talk and giggle all night. Our last night there they were up till 5 am. I think I got less sleep there then I do at home with three small kids. Ear plugs only work so well. At least next year we will be in leader tent away from the girls. LOVE GIRLS CAMP!


No comments: