Tuesday, February 26, 2008

First Daddy/Daughter Day

Yesterday was my first full day watching Emma while Laura was at work. I think the day was a success: I didn't kill or maim her. In fact, she was a perfect baby -- she slept until 8:30 AM (about 9 hours total for the night), she woke up happy and didn't even get cranky while I struggled to get her dressed. I could just see in her mind her saying "Mom doesn't take this long -- what's your problem?"

I fed her and we watched a great episode of The Cosby Show where Denise is trying to figure out where to go to college and Rudy and Vanessa are just hoping it's far away so she'll move out and they can have their own bedrooms. Classic.

Anywho, after feeding, we played on the floor for awhile. She was in a great mood all morning but soon started showing signs of tiredness. After just a few minutes of holding her...and a well timed pacifier placement...she fell right to sleep. Success! She took a nice long morning nap, then we repeated the process in the afternoon, except this time the Cosby Show episode was one where Cliff was asked to race in a charity fundraiser. He thought he was going to race against an old college nemesis but he was set up instead and ended up losing the relay to a female gold-medal Olympian.

I did put in a DVD that we got for Emma -- it is set to music and has bright, contrasting pictures that infants are supposed to enjoy looking at. To be honest, she was much more interested in the Cosby Show. We've got a three-month-old TV junkie. Yikes.

Since Emma took two really long naps, I had time to make dinner (and by 'make dinner' I mean mix the Tuna Helper together), put away the laundry and do the dishes. I guess watching a child makes your domesticity kick in.

Anyway, I hope I didn't blow it by having such a successful outing on my first attempt. I hope things go this well next week.

Quinn

1 comment:

Living Green said...

I remember that episode of the Cosby show. At the end, Denise announces to her family during dinner that she chose to attend her parents' alma mater to the teary-eyed smiles of Cliff and Clair Huxtable! Good Times!!! Oh, and way to raise your own kids, Mr. Father-of-the-year!