Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Crappy Birthday...to...you!

Lauralee turned 28 years young last Friday. It was going to be a magical, happy birthday weekend.


Instead...


*She spent the majority of the day at home chasing after our 22-month-old (when I got home from work and asked her how her birthday was going she said, "Just another day...")


*I got home from work late and didn't have time to wrap and give her her birthday presents before we had to leave for dinner. She didn't end up opening them until about 11 PM.


*She didn't get to eat where she wanted to eat (50-minute wait at Red Lobster) and instead had to settle for Training Table (0-minute wait).


*The movie we went to see (Julia and Julie) was rife with technical difficulties (two all-out interruptions, and a 15-minute "blurry phase" where it looked like we were watching a dream sequence. We weren't, unfortunately.)


So her birthday didn't go well, BUT -- we still had a Bear Lake weekend to look forward to. Lauralee and Emma left on Saturday morning, and I was going to join them on Sunday (I went to the USA soccer game on Saturday night). We're usually at the lake over Labor Day / Lauralee's birthday, and we always have a good time -- so much so that Lauralee has tried to call the event her "birthday week." So we were all looking forward to a great weekend.


Instead...


*Emma threw up all over the back seat just outside of Brigham City. Lauralee can handle lots of things, but throw up is not one of them. Frankly, it's amazing she was able to continue at all.


*Once at the lake, Laura accidentally cut her arm on a jagged car antenna. It was a nasty cut --we're talking down to the fatty tissue. Luckily E.R. doctor Uncle Bruce was there (shoutout to the Vernalites -- holla!) and was able to apply the 12 stitches it took to put Lauralee together again.


*Emma failed to nap at all on Saturday, slept only a few hours Saturday night (with long periods of screaming in between) and failed to nap on Sunday as well. Lauralee was miserable and sleep deprived when I arrived on Sunday. Her first words to me: "I need a hug."


So Happy Birthday Laura! Because nothing says "I love you" like a mostly non-special/second rate dinner/technically inferior movie/up-past-your-bedtime birthday present/throw-up covered/minor medical emergency/sleep deprived weekend! Love you babe! Don't worry. We'll make this right somehow.


Quinn




6 comments:

The Powell Family said...

I had no idea! I am so sorry, can I do anything to help make it up? Can I take Emma while you guys go out somewhere fun and safe? I'll call ahead and make you reservations.....so sorry Laura! I love ya!

Sarah F said...

Hey thanks for including a close-up of the stitches. Now I want to throw up (but don't tell Lauralee). S.

Sarah F said...

28 sucks anyway. This is the cosmos's way of telling you that. Happy birthday anyway, Lauralee.
--G

M2QC said...

Ahhh Vomit in the car is my worst nightmare! I'd rather have stiches!! Poor Lauralee - I'm sure she was a good sport though. You guys definitely need a great date night, or day, or weekend!

HDVB said...

oh that's a bummer of a birthday but I'm sure that you made the best of it! I'm SO sorry that I completely spaced singing the classic b-day song to you today while I was at your house! (I'm REALLY bad at remembering that kind of stuff, which bites because you are REALLY good at remembering that kind of stuff!)
Daniel had told me it was your birthday last week and that he had made sure to send a card...but HELLO, I should have basically sent you a separate one because I didn't get to sign it!! I love you so much and I hope your birthday (even with all of that crazy stuff) was great! LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

PAW said...

Wow, I'm so sorry to read of all the "upheaval." It did leave me in "stitches" though!!!!

Happy very late Birthday ♥♥♥♥