Thursday, March 18, 2010

Presenting James Quinn Lavender

So we checked into the hospital at 7:30 am on Saturday March 13, 2010. The doctor came and checked me and I was almost dilated to a 5. He went ahead and broke my water and then suggested I go ahead and get an epidural thinking things would progress fast. Who am I to argue with the doctor. No need to feel contractions, right. Well I did end of feeling them for a little while because the epidural did not take on the right side of my body. After 2 extra doses the nurses convinced me to have it redone. I had no idea they could do this. I am so glad I did because it worked right away and because I had to sit up to get it it moved James into position and things progressed much faster. We think he had his head turned so my labor did not progress as fast the doctor thought it would. But after that I went from an 8 to a 10 in about 30-40 minutes. Luckily the doctor was in the building. After 2 contractions and only 6 pushes James arrived at 1:10 pm.

Quinn cutting the cord.

James in all his glory!

Mckay Dee Hospital has started promoting skin to skin contact immediately after birth. They just set him on my chest and check him out from there. This works better than the heat lamps they used to use in warming the babies up and also starts the bonding sooner.

Here is our little guy - so swollen.

James weighed in at 8 lbs. 12 oz. and 20 inches long. He beat Emma by 1 oz. and 1/2 inch. What a big guy.





Already found his thumb. This is not good. Emma sucks her thumb and while it is cute we can't take it away from her and have no idea when or how to make her stop. So we will probably be promoting the binky.

Ready to go home. We were lucky enough to only have to stay one night. I don't know how anyone can sleep in a hospital. The beds are uncomfortable, the place is noisy and they keep coming in to take your blood pressure.

We arrived home Sunday evening.

Happy to be home with a healthy baby boy.

My Mom kept Emma an extra day for us so that we could spend one full day home with just James to get our bearing. It was very relaxing.

Now that Emma is home she is okay with James. She doesn't want to hold him but asks to see him and loves to give him kisses. But she is acting out and very upset with Quinn and I. Hopefully she will adjust soon and understand that we still love her but we both can't give her our full attention all the time anymore.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Kisses for James.
Once again my milk never came in just like with Emma. Thankfully I was able to recognize the signs sooner and switch to formula. Our little guy is much happier now that he has a full tummy. Quinn can't get out of helping in the middle of the night now!


The swelling is pretty much all gone. This is our cute boy!

12 comments:

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

Love your post. Thanks for the great pictures!! We love ya honey, Mom

HDVB- daniel said...

Wow! We are so happy for you guys and thanks for posting the pictures. Its not fun being so far away when things like this happen. Hannah is headed home on Sunday so she would love to come see you next week if that's ok.

Joanne said...

Congrats!! He's adorable!

M2QC said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome already! We're so happy that you are all healthy and happy and that little James arrived safely. Well done!

Lisa said...

Congrats! He's beautiful!!

Living Green said...

Congratulations! We are glad things went well. He is adorable!

The Powell Family said...

I am so glad that you are doing well. Your pictures are so cute, I'm glad you finally got to post!

TheRocks said...

OHH! So cute!! So happy everything went so well. We'll be up next week and would love to stop by and see all of you!
Love Jeff and Carly

PAW said...

Been anxiously awaiting the photos. He looks to me to be
an Emma/Quinn combo. So happy
things turned out as well as
they did. xoxoxo

The Bown's said...

So cute, congrats on the new little guy!!

bjohnston said...

Congratulations! He's adorable!

Jill said...

Congratulations! He's adorable. So glad to hear things went well and you are home, healthy and happy!