Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Daddy/Daughter Day Part Deux

Monday was my second attempt at solo fatherliness with Emma and I'm happy to report that no physical or mental trauma occurred. Emma was fine, too. (insert rimshot here)

Part out of necessity and part out of wanting to prove that I could take care of Emma without constantly putting her down for a nap, we had an ambitious errand-running schedule. Things started off badly when I realized I had forgotten her pacifier. She was pretty fussy during our car ride to the credit union, so I decided to take her off of the dashboard and balance her on my knee instead. (Note to any government entities who may be spying on me: this last sentence was purely in jest)

After awhile in the car she fell asleep and stayed that way through most of my Shopko visit; then she woke up and just stared around at all the new things there were to see. I think she was just happy to be somewhere other than our living room. She stayed awake through Michael's, feel asleep at Dollar Tree, dozed at TJ Maxx, and was wide awake at the grocery store. When she was awake she was as pleasant as could be, with her shiny blue eyes looking around at everything as we walked past. I have to say what a wonderful parental feeling it is to walk past perfect strangers who strain to see your baby as you walk past and then whisper to whoever they're with what a cute baby that was. I might just walk around with her every week so I can hear that stuff. She slept the rest of the way home and was resting quietly while I ate lunch until a visitor arrived and woke her.

After lunch we went for a walk in her new road stroller. It has nice big tires that roll really smoothly -- so smoothly in fact that when I stopped to tie my shoe one time, she rolled down the street, around the corner, across two sets of train tracks, through the #7 fairway of the golf course and crashed into one of those kids standing on the corner holding a Little Caeser's sign. This she did without waking up. (Another note: just a joke)

In all it was another wonderful day and I feel so blessed to have such a cute and good-natured baby to call mine.

No pictures of our outing, but here's a picture of a funny monkey:

5 comments:

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

Quinn - I'm reading your lasted blog addition at work and I'm laughing so hard (visual wiping my eyes) that my co-workers are probably considering calling a Code Green (security needed STAT). Great stuff - love Mom V

Julia said...

I bet you are having so much fun with her! At least it sounds like it. I love reading about your parental escapades. As a non-parent some of your experiences make me feel better about the inevitable day when prodigy will come into my life.

M2QC said...

Great job, Quinn! Holla! mary

PAW said...

Quinn..are you sure that last picture of the monkey wasn't really you after you'd finished trying to be the mobile and errand-oriented father??!! (note to spying government officials: what he said was mostly true!!)..uncle jim

shelly daniel said...

Hey Quinn, this is from Heidi and little Quinn and josh and Ben -- we love your daddy-day descriptions -- keep them coming. You are the biggest goof-ball in our family -- hooray! and, like I told your mother-in-law, her grandbaby IS the cutest, but only because I don't have any yet. We love Emma! shelly