Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Daddy/Daughter Days VII, VIII, IX and X

Geez, I've really been slacking on my posts here. I'm not sure if anybody reads these or not, but at least I'm providing documented evidence that I'm not a deadbeat dad.

Daddy/Daughter Day VII:
This was Monday, April 7th. It was a pretty non-eventful day and really shouldn't even count as an official Daddy/Daughter Day because Lauralee came home from work really early that day (like at noon). She wasn't feeling very well -- she and Emma shared a cold that week. It is a tribute to her motherly love, though, that she came home from work and still wanted to be with and take care of Emma. If I came home early from work, it wouldn't be to do anything other than sip on a Sprite (the official drink of sick days), hop in bed, and watch Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Daddy/Daughter Day VIII:
Due to some work scheduling issues, I also got Wednesday, April 9th off of work. Lauralee was working that day and I didn't think it would be appropriate to have mom come on her regularly-scheduled babysitting day while I hung out in my jammies, so I told her not to come and I would take care of Emma that day. She was a wonderful baby that day. We even went up to see Lauralee at work and have lunch with her. All the ladies at Laura's work get so excited to see Emma. It was a fun day.

Daddy/Daughter Day IX:
Two words: constipated baby.

Daddy/Daughter Day X:
Yesterday was a frustrating day. Emma had been having 'digestive issues' all during the previous week. We gave her some pear juice at the nurse's behest, and it seemed to work, at least on the first day. But Emma was still having problems by the end of the week, which culminated in a really bad Sunday where she grunted and strained a lot (not exactly the best way to enjoy church meetings) and didn't sleep well. Yesterday, she actually slept in until 8:45, which led me to believe that all would be well that day. But alas, it wasn't. It went something like this:
Emma: {grunt} {scream} {cry}
Quinn: "What's wrong?"
Emma: {smile} {grunt} {cry} {more grunting} {more crying} {smile}
Quinn: "Here, play with Mr. Giraffe"
Emma: {cry}
Quinn: "Let me hold and rock you."
Emma: {scream}
Quinn: "Your diaper must be wet. Let me change it."
Emma: {momentary silence}
Quinn: "Phew! She's finally settling dow..."
Emma: "Wah!"

Man, she just got mad at whatever I tried to do: play with her, leave her alone, hold her, lay her down. She slept for a few minutes in the morning and a few in the afternoon. The only time she was really quiet was when she was eating. I took her for two stroller walks since that also seemed to help. Also amusing was my first attempt to put sunscreen on her. Gosh, I thought she was wiggly before but the second I tried to rub that stuff on her she went into hyperdrive. By the end of it all I did get the sunscreen on her arms and cheeks, as well as her forehead, hat, shirt, pants, blanket, and all over the inside of the stroller. I think it would have been less messy to fill a balloon with sunblock and throw it at the stroller. Next time. Anyway, by the time I fed her at 5 PM, she was so tired and cranky but just could not sleep. Lauralee got home shortly after that and saved the day like she always does. I sulked in the kitchen and listened to the two of them play together and rock together. Laura took care of her for the rest of the night while I tried to relax by watching a Philadelphia Flyers game -- which turned out not to be on TV. And they lost anyway. Hrumph.


No comments: