Friday, November 7, 2008

How a BYU fan saved Thursday night

On Thursday night my friend Joe invited me over to his house to watch the big Utah/TCU match up. I was really excited to go; Lauralee modified her schedule to let me go (side note: this had as much to do with my recent pining as it did with Lauralee supporting my love of University of Utah football. I had been complaining that I never get "guys night" even though she gets "girls night" regularly.)

At work that day I was talking to a co-worker and I mentioned that it was fortunate that my friend had invited me over to watch the game, because I wasn't sure that the CBS College Sports Network was found on my or my dad's cable package. My co-worker said: "Are you sure your friend has this channel?" to which I coolly replied, "He's a big Utah fan, and I'm sure he wouldn't invite friends over if he didn't have the
channel."

Can you see where this story is going?

After I show up to Joe's house I casually ask him, "You DO have the channel, right?" He says to me, he says "It's on CBS, of course I have CBS." At this point I feel a little nauseous and explain to him that CBS is different than CBS College Sports Television. A quick run-through of his TV channels reveals the horror: Joe does NOT, in fact, have the channel. Another friend shows up, and the next thing I know, Joe's upstairs on the phone trying to get through to Comcast to purchase whatever upgrade is needed to get that channel. It's now a few minutes after 6, and the game has begun. I hear Joe yelling in the phone. Comcast is not answering the phone due to the "unusually large quantity of phone calls." No doubt the Salt Lake Valley is filled with fans who, at a few minutes after 6, are all realizing that they don't have the channel either, and are desperately calling Comcast to find out what the dealio is.

Another friend shows up. We're in a state of disbelief. I turn on a radio to find that TCU has the ball and is getting ready to score. The latest friend to arrive suggests that Joe call some of the guys in the ward to see if THEY have the channel. Joe calls several guys. He even leaves a voicemail for a guy telling him to 'call back immediately; there has been a tragedy.' Several more phone calls, and then an incoming call from the guy wanting to know what the tragedy is.

Joe: "Hey, what are you doing right now?"
guy: "Watching the game"
Joe: "Oh, that's cool. I was going to watch the game with some friends. They're all here right now. But I don't have the channel."
guy: "I see."
Joe: "I wouldn't want to invite myself...and my friends....over, but if you invited us over, that would be okay."
guy: "Are you sure you want to watch the game with me?"
Joe: "I'm sure."
guy: "You know I'm a BYU fan, right?"
Joe (without any hesitation whatsoever): "We'll brink chips and drinks."

And we're halfway out the door while Joe tries to figure out what to do with this two little girls (ages little and littler). The next thing I know, I'm sitting next to a guy I've met once at Joe's house in a car being driven by a guy I met 12 minutes ago on the way to the house of a guy I've never met. And HE'S a BYU fan! Joe had to stay back at his apartment until his wife got home to watch the kids.

Well, the great thing about guys and football is that is was not important that none of us knew each other. The miracle of the Utah football game was already underway.

Miracle #1: The apartment we went to to watch the game had a gigantic hi-def flatscreen television and leather sofas.

Miracle #2: The pizza arrived just a few seconds before halftime. So did Joe.

Miracle #3: The TCU placekicker misses two clutch field goals in the final 5 mintues to keep the door open for the Utah victory.

Miracle #4: Brian Johnson actually leads the Utes all the way down the field and caps it with a touchdown with less than a minute to go to win the game.

Miracle #5: The gay guy who apparently lives in the apartment next door decided not to crank his techno music at all during the football game.

Miracle #6: The BYU guy who let us crash at his apartment is actually quite cool.

So thanks, Travis the BYU guy, for saving the evening. We couldn't have done it without you.


2 comments:

HDVB said...

Its a Festivus miracle!

Jill said...

my kind of miracles! Glad it worked out - it was worth the effort!!