Friday, January 30, 2009

Emma's New Emotion

Emma is definitely her own person with her own idea of how things should be. Just recently she has discovered the emotion of anger and frustration and can portray it quite well with a scowl on her face. Some of her scowls are real and I think some are just her exploring new facial expressions because she seems to get mad for no apparent reason. I know I probably shouldn't react in any way because then it just spurs her on but it is so funny to watch her cute little face scrunch up into a scowl.

She is also definitely developing an attitude. The other day she was trying to stuff her sock into the fire place and I asked her to hand me the sock instead. She turned to look at me and then turned the other way the through the sock just so I wouldn't get it. She has learned that being told no should mean something and she doesn't like it. This does not mean that she obeys when I say no though. The doctor said we can start putting her in time-outs (one minute per age - just as Supper Nanny suggests), but how in the world do you make a 1 year old understand what a time out is.

Well you have to start sometime with the concept though. I know you can't just spring it on them at age 5. So the other day she got a time out. I sat her on the bottom stair and held her there for all of 30 seconds, she clearly had no idea what was going on. She thought I had put her there so she could climb the stairs which she loves to do. If your not careful before you can turn around she will be up the stairs which is alright when someone is with her but alone is dangerous because she refuses to be shown how to come down safely.

Anyways, I'm getting the scowl right now because she has dropped all her toys from the highchair and desperately wants to get down. You can't tell very well by the photo but her eyebrows are down. I keep missing the really good scowls.





Here are some photo's from the past month:



Playing with her new toys from Christmas!




We had been cooped up too long inside and just had to get out and enjoy the sun on this very rare sunny day!

No comments: