Thursday, May 28, 2009

The funniest TV phrase of all time

Did anybody else happen to catch this show on Tuesday night -- The 50 Funniest TV Phrases of All Time?

I enjoy TV, and I enjoy funny, and I enjoy lists, so of course I watched it.

I thought it was enjoyable. Sure, I could argue about the placement of this phrase or that one, but it was fun to watch. I really don't think "Yada, yada, yada" is the funniest of all time, though. Not even the funniest from that show.

I think it's an unwritten requirement that to be considered for this list, the phrase had to be said more than once -- at least several times in an episode, if not across the whole series.

So, here's the list in its entirety:

50. “Hello, Newman” from “Seinfeld”
49. “Missed it by that much” from “Get Smart”
48. “Yeah, that’s the ticket” from “Saturday Night Live”
47. “God’ll get you for that” from “Maude”
46. “Hey, Hey, Hey” from “What’s Happening”
45. “Holy crap” from “Everybody Loves Raymond”
44. “Let me show you something” from “In Living Color”
43. “Nip it” from “The Andy Griffith Show”
42. “Thank you beddy much” from “Taxi”
41. “Do you wanna hug it out” from “Entourage”
40. “Watch it sucka” from “Sanford and Son”
39. “Jane you ignorant slut” from “Saturday Night Live”
38. “Mom liked you best” from “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour”
37. “Sit on it” from “Happy Days”
36. “Now cut that out” from “The Jack Benny Comedy Program”
35. “I’m Larry, this is my brother Darryl…” from “Newhart”
34. “What you see is what you get” from “The Flip Wilson Show”
33. “I’ve made a huge mistake” from “Arrested Development”
32. “I know nothing” from “Hogan’s Heroes”
31. “Here come de judge” from “Laugh In”
30. “You look marvelous” from “Saturday Night Live”
29. “I’m comin’ to join ya Elizabeth” from “Sanford and Son”
28. “Would you believe” from “Get Smart”
27. “Up your nose with a rubber hose” from “Welcome Back Kotter”
26. “Ohhhh Rob” from “The Dick Van Dyke Show”
25. “Kiss my grits” from “Alice"
24. “Nanu, Nanu” from “Mork and Mindy”
23. “Don’t be ridiculous” from “Perfect Strangers”
22. “I’m Gumby, damn it” from “Saturday Night Live”
21. “No soup for you” from “Seinfeld”
20. “One of these days, pow right in the kisser” from “The Honeymooners”
19. “Did I do that” from “Family Matters”
18. “Will you stifle” from “All in the Family”
17. “Eat my shorts” from “The Simpsons”
16. “Hated it” from “In Living Color”
15. “Well isn’t that special” from “Saturday Night Live”
14. “Sock it to me” from “Laugh In”
13. “We were on a break” from “Friends”
12. “That’s what she said” from “The Office”
11. “It’s going to be legendary” from “How I Met Your Mother”
10. “Homey don’t play dat” from “In Living Color”
9. “Excuuse me” from “Saturday Night Live”
8. “Lucy, you’ve got some splainin’ to do” from “I Love Lucy” (even though he never said it quite that way – the closest he came was “Lucy, splain” and “All right, start splainin’”)
7. “Oh my god! They killed Kenny” from “South Park”
6. “Burn” from “That ‘70s Show”
5. “We are two wild and crazy guys” from “Saturday Night Live”
4. “Ayyyy” from “Happy Days”
3. “How you doin’” from “Friends”
2. “D’oh” from “The Simpsons”
1. “Yada, yada, yada” from “Seinfeld”

Some notable ones that I thought were missing:
"What you talking about, Willis?" Diff'rent Strokes
"Dy-no-mite!" Good Times
"Not that there's anything wrong with that..." Seinfeld
"This video needs more explosions" Beavis and Butthead
"NORM!" Cheers
"You got it, dude." Full House
"Woah!" Blossom
"Hello!" Laverne and Shirley (not funny to look at but quite funny the way Squiggy says it)
"Oh, ay....ay, oh!" Who's the Boss
"Schwing!" Saturday Night Live
"Hi, I'm Chevy Chase, and you're not" Saturday Night Live
"Living in a van, down by the river" Saturday Night Live
(In retrospect, you could probably pick 50 good ones from SNL alone)
"I don't think so, Tim." Home Improvement

So, what others would you add to the list?

Quinn

5 comments:

Mike said...

"Shut up, fool!" or "I pity the fool...." You can't leave the A-Team and B.A. Baracus out can you? I barely remember any of those episodes, but Mr. "T" is a classic.

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Good call, Mike. I remember watching that show and Kyle and I would fight over who got to "be" B.A. Baracus. Kyle always won the fight, so I had to be Murdock.

Here's another that I thought of this morning: "Cut - It - Out" by the immortal Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier) on Full House.

THE BIBBER BLOG said...

Quinn, with the new release of Star Trek and my history of watching Star Trek reruns after school as a wee child, I can't help but add more famous quotes to the list: "Beam us up Scottie", and the ever popular "Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor not a __________" fill in the blank as necessary.

Also, from Full House, "Wood?!?!?!"
Manja

PAW said...

I knew you'd love that show.

Living Green said...

Quinn,
At least you didn't have to "be" Face. All that pressure to be the comic relief! Almost unbearable.

A few others:
"Haaa! I kill me!" from ALF
"I've fallen and I can't get up!" from Family Matters
"Hey, Hey, Hey!" from Fat Albert
"Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba!" by Speedy Gonzalez from Looney Toons
"Knowing is half the battle." from GI Joe.

I could go on and on... what fun!