Thursday, December 17, 2009

Santa Visit -- It Could Have Been Much, Much Worse

Looking back at Lauralee's last post about Emma's visit to Santa Claus...I just wanted to add my two cents. It's funny, isn't it, that we insist on making our kids sit with Santa even though we have an inkling that they will stiffen up like a mummy and/or scream in sheer terror. I look at it more as a rite of passage for human beings -- a sociological event rather than a holiday one. I have a picture of me freaking out on Santa's lap, and so does Laura. And now, so does Emma. To me, it's all in good fun, and still far removed from the frat-boy mentality that requires the new guys to be hazed. At least I hope that's how it's viewed. At the very least (as Becky pointed out): this is a small payback for our children waking us up at 4 AM for the first years of their lives.

All that being said, this Santa visit could have been much, much worse. Our Santa was extremely kind, and the lady taking the picture was magnificent. Emma probably spent less than 10 seconds on Santa's lap, during which time she never actually loosened up to make it into a sitting position. She also never let me let go of her. The lady taking the picture somehow managed to snap the shot when both Santa and Emma were looking up, but still crop me, who was standing right next to them, out of the picture completely. And it was all done in under 10 seconds. The line to see Santa was relatively short. And the picture was free!

But perhaps the best thing is that our Santa wasn't any of THESE Santas:


Wasted Santa





Incognito Santa






Creepy Santa






Stoned Santa






Spooky Santa



Not-Even-Trying Santa


Drug Lord Santa






Killer Clown Santa






Shady Santa








This Santa's fine. It's that freaky elf you've got to watch out for!






Kabuki Santa






Raunchy Santa






On-The-Lam-From-The-Law Santa





Disgusted Santa

Season's Greetings!

Quinn

2 comments:

Sarah F said...

I hope they'll let me be Santa to pay *my* debt to society.

Bryn said...

the sad part is with these photos is that the parents let their children sit on these creepy Santa's laps!!!

I hope they never let Garrett play Santa. I'm only kind of kidding. Did you put that leg lamp in your front window?