Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daddy/Daughter Saturday

This past Saturday Laura made the journey to Ogden to go with her mom to the most important Relief Society meeting of the year....Super Saturday! Forget about a "lesson" or a "speaker" and pass the jigsaw, glitter, and hobby paint!

Anywho, since Laura didn't think it would be a good idea to shephard Emma with one hand while hot-gluing with the other, she left Emma home with me. And fun ensued. This time, I remembered to take pictures.

Emma and I had fun playing together with her new monkey, Bongo.







Hello, Bongo.















Hello, Emma.








After Monkey Time was over, we had lunch. Emma likes to feed herself; however, this can be problematic since her dexterity is less-than-stellar (especially on slippery foods) and her utinsil-wielding skills are non-existant. This often leads to messy hands, messy face, messy hair, messy high chair tray, messy floor around the high chair, and messy mommy/daddy. The lunch du jour on Saturday was half of a cut-up banana, blueberry yogurt, and string cheese cubes. I felt that I had done well by keeping the food on the front 180 degrees of her face and (as far as I could tell) out of her hair. In fact, she was pretty dang clean, in my humble opinion.

And yet, when I got her out of the high chair and put her on the floor in the living room, I noticed a mysterious stain on the back of her shirt:

Closer inspection revealed this stain to be mushed-up banana. Now how on EARTH does an 11-month-old get a banana stain on her back? Emma claimed that I must have spilled the banana on her. Unfortunately, the immutable laws of physics contradict the whole premise of her account. Allow me to reconstruct this if I may for the blog readers as I've encountered this a number of times. Emma, if you'll indulge me. According to your story, I'm sitting next to your high chair when I used my right hand to pass you a banana chunk. Then you say you were struck by the banana chunk on the right temple. The banana then proceeds to ricochet off the temple striking you between the third and fourth rib. The banana then came off the rib turned and hit you in the right wrist causing you to to drop your sippy cup. The banana then splashed off the wrist, pauses --in mid air, mind you-- makes a left turn and lands on directly on your back. That is one magic banana chunk.








After lunch we paused for a picture...and some college football.













Then, in typical Emma fashion, she tried to eat the camera.











Later, Emma decided she wanted to play the piano. I hope she inherits mom's musical talents.












And now for the best photo of the day: while Emma was quietly playing with her toys, I went out to the garage to put something away. I was gone for about a minute. When I came back, this was the scene:

Emma had crawled over to the end table and knocked over the lamp (nothing broken, thankfully) and was sitting there with a look on her face like she knew she had just done something very wrong. Cute little girl. Now NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! Love, Daddy.

It was another great Daddy/Daughter day. Each time I do this I'm more grateful for the wonderful women in my life (wife, mother, mother-in-law) who take care of Emma during the day.

2 comments:

Living Green said...

I DESPISE FRANK HERNANDEZ!!!
-Newman

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

It's actually Keith Hernandez, but thanks for acknowledging the homage.

--Quinn